IMPACT calls on Dublin City Council to reconsider homelessness cuts

IMPACT trade union today (Monday) called on Dublin City Council to reconsider proposed cuts of €6 million in the city’s homelessness services. The union, which represents staff in homelessness organisations, says funding for the capital’s homelessness services have been cut to the bone since 2008, while demand has soared.

IMPACT official Ashley Connolly said: “The Simon Community recently reported an 88% increase in the number of people sleeping rough in Dublin’s inner city area over the last year. This does not include the “hidden homeless” who are couch-surfing, staying in squats, hospitals or temporary B&Bs. The need for accommodation and assistance is increasing and every cent of the budget is needed to help people in desperate need.”

Ms Connolly said the city’s homelessness budget crisis was ultimately caused by grant reductions from central Government. “The Government must look again at the funding it gives local councils for homelessness services and supports to other vulnerable groups. There is a human cost to these cuts. Local authority, voluntary and community organisations are doing their very best, but there is no question that vulnerable people will suffer if the cuts continue, especially on the scale that’s been proposed” she said.